Tuesday 25 October 2016

New entrants to the menu of SodaBottleOpenerWala

I have always expressed fondness for parsi cuisine and SodaBottleOpenerWala has been my favorite place which doesn't make me miss Bombay Irani Cafe's in Bengaluru. A lot has been written on them and so have I too, you can read my earlier review here .

SodaBottleOpenerWala have added some new additions to their menu and Bengaluru is the first city to incorporate it. They made some changes in preparation in some of their items too. Mohit Balachandran took us through the menu and every dish served for the meal. Read on to know more.

As we started our lunch, classic Bollywood and International pop music was played in the background. While my friend's enjoyed their cocktails, I preferred to go with Shakes this time, I tried the Mawa shake and Date & Saffron shake, while my friends enjoyed Raspberry Soda which is more pulpy than before, Sekanje Bin, Mumma Nu Double Dose, a cocktail made of whiskey, rum, saffron, dates flavor, and beaten eggs. Bombay Julep, A cocktail made of Bacardi rum, mint, Apricot, honey, and lime juice which is served in a cute Julep glass garnished with flowers. The Bumsuckerwala, A cocktail made of frozen Raspberry, thyme, and Vodka. Oh there is a story behind this name of the drink, do read that :)
































Then the starters were served, a mix of old and new menu but none of these were tried by me earlier so I was excited.

Crispy Corn and Bhel came in first and as we amunched on this classic Bombay bhel with crispy corn tossed with tangy chutney, Next was Chicken Chilli cheese pav, a fluffly pav with lagan nu achar, chillies and chicken topping.

 























Raasta Sandwich for the veggies which was made of multigrain bread, veggies, and cheese; served with spicy French fries. ‘Boil’ Egg Sandwich which was my favorite, had fillings of boiled eggs, green chili, and cheese; served with spicy French fries. It was just the way my Mom makes.

























Bacon Vada Pav but those who tried found bacon to be missing.


Cafreal Chicken Salad made of Cafreal masala, lettuce, and pickled beet. I was wondering how did this dish find a place in a parsi menu?


Then main course was served, though I was craving for dhansak, I made sure I look beyond it and try the other dishes :)


First came Saturday Jardaloo Ma Gosh which is Parsi families Saturday special mutton dish in a thick gravy with apricots hence you would find this sweet. From the combo menu, we tried the 'Paneer Sanju Baba' and 'Khattu Meethu Pumpkin', which had a mix of sweet & sour taste. Some may know that a dish is served in Noor Mohammadi Restaurant in Mumbai which claims that Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has given them the recipe so SBOW had a veg version to it.




Without edu, a parsi dish or meal can never be complete so as the menu states 'When in doubt, break an edu (egg) on it', we tried 2 interesting dishes - 'Friday Sausage Par Eeda' and 'Guava Jelly and Onion Par Eedu'. Friday Sausage Par Eeda had bacon in it so I did not try it while Guava Jelly and Onion Par Eedu did not interest my palatte much. These sunny's side up dishes can be enjoyed with pav. We also had Jaloo's famous Malai na paratha which was very tasty but it could be very filling too.




From their 'Bar Snacks' menu came Parsi style Jumbo Prawns served with coconut milk gravy and steamed rice which can be enjoyed as bar snack or as a main course. 'Brinjal and Drumstick Kari' served with steamed rice and Kachumbar was a veg option which came along.



I have never tried their Berry Pulav so this was my day. The berries and fried cashews on a mildly spiced pulav was a favorite on the table. We also tried the Bambaiyya Chicken Biryani which is the classic Bombay style biryani. I skipped Paatra ni Machhi and tried Tarela Rainbow Trout which is baked with traditional parsi spices, this became an instant favorite on the table.




With a mix of veg and non veg options for food, we ended our meal with their tempting desserts. Mawa cake will always be my favorite. Chocolate peanut butter cheesecake was loved by all but I am not a fan of peanut butter so I enjoyed it the least. Irani Falooda had high expectations from me but I did not enjoy it much as I have had better falooda at other places. Mixed berry truffle and White chocolate hazelnut orange brownie was also enjoyed. However, everyone loved Matunga Coffee Cake the most which was served in a filter coffee vessel is a must try for the coffee lovers but I gave it a miss as it had liquor. Lagan Nu Custer is a famous parsi wedding custard which was relished by all.



















































The menu now has a variety of options for veg and non veg which makes this place a must visit for everyone who would love to have good parsi meal coupled with great music giving it Bombay irani cafe feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment